Justin Timberlake's - Southern Hospitality - in Hell's Kitchen - NYC - Foodie Alert!

Southern Hospitality
645 9th Ave (corner of 45th St.)
Menu

Justin Timberlake, with friends Trace Ayala and Eytan Sugarman, has become a restauranteur with his Southern Hospitality restaurant in NYC, serving up Memphis style BBQ.


Hotel Note : If in need of a hotel in this neighborhood called Hell's Kitchen, check out: The French Quarter Guest Apartments.

A last minute dinner invite from colleague and good friend Greg Allen landed us at this Hell's Kitchen neighborhood restaurant. I actually had to look up what makes Memphis BBQ different from other styles. Memphis-style barbecue is slow cooked in a pit and ribs can be prepared either 'dry' or 'wet'."

 

But this joint really offers a wide range of southern fare. There's something for everyone in this very relaxed and laid-back environment.


DIZZY NOTE: What is good for those of us with compromised vestibular systems and/or Meniere's disease is that the space is open. But there are a lot of busy visuals, which can be a bit overwhelming. Luckily, the restaurant wasn't jam-packed and the noise level was just fine.

Greg had been here before so I took his lead and we started with two appetizers I would NEVER have ordered on my own.

Fried pickles.

Frickles! I had my very first breaded and deep fried dill pickle chips served with a side of BBQ ranch dipping sauce. I couldn't stop popping them into my mouth. They were light and tangy and crunchy and yummy. I asked Greg if he enjoyed them and he said, "Being from Texas, I've had MANY fried pickles in my life and these rate right up there with others because they use slices and not the spears. (The spears burn your mouth when you bite into them - slices are nice and crunchy.)" And this is coming from a man who knows his pickles!

Mac & cheese spring roll.
I was a bit hesitant about this next dish: deep fried mac & cheese with bacon spring roll. Although the menu indicates that it has bacon, I honestly don't remember tasting or seeing any. Neither of us could remember. (Must have been the martinis.) But whether the bacon was missing or not, this dish was fabulous. Crunchy on the outside, creamy comfort food on the inside. We inhaled it.

Brisket sandwich.
Both of us ordered sandwiches, Greg warning me that the entrĂ©es are huge. Well, the sandwiches were huge! Greg had the sliced smoked brisket sandwich with jalapenos and melted cheese. It comes with a side of beef stock, crispy onion rings, french fries, coleslaw and more pickle. In his words, "I really liked the brisket sandwich...and the fact you could choose your own BBQ sauce on the table. (I'm not big on crispy onions so I pushed those aside and you, Arthur, ate the eye-watering jalapenos.) I also didn't use the beef stock. I wanted BBQ sauce instead." 

Shrimp po' boy.
I ordered the shrimp po’ boy. A half a pound of deep fried shrimp served on a humongus toasted roll with remoulade. Similar to an aioli sauce, this remoulade drizzled on the shrimp had a hint of cayenne and . . . maybe it was capers? The french fries were well done, just how I like them but there was a bit too much bread. I couldn't pick it up at first, so I started devouring the shrimp with a fork till I could manage the sandwich. Not complaining at all, for I ate all of the roll. But for those counting carbs . . . watch out.


And for dessert we ordered s'mores! And how cute . . . the melted chocolate and toasted marshmallows come served in a cast iron skillet. As Greg said, "The s'mores were not only delicious - but fun that they bring it to your table (a la campfire) and let you do it yourself!"


For a big taste of Memphis style BBQ and a super relaxed atmosphere in Hell's Kitchen, stop by Justin's Southern Hospitality.

Enjoy your grub, ya'll!



1 comment: